Decision Maker: Executive, Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Report on the update to the Scheme of Delegation
RECOMMENDED that Council approve:-
(1) amending the Council’s Scheme of Delegation and Financial Regulations, including those to be made in consultation with a Councillor, giving the Chief Executive & Growth Director together with the Strategic Management Board delegated authority to discharge any delegated authority already set out in the Council’s Scheme of Delegation, including those set out in the Council’s Financial Regulations, effective immediately. This shall include the power to make urgent decisions in consultation with the Leader of the Council or, in his absence, the Deputy Leader of the Council.
(2) granting the City Solicitor delegated authority to amend the Constitution to give effect to any change in legislation brought by the Government in response to the Corona Virus pandemic in consultation with the Leader of the Council or, in his absence, the Deputy Leader. In the absence of the City Solicitor, the Corporate Manager, Democratic & Civic Support and the Litigation Solicitor may also exercise this delegated authority;
(3) granting permission to any Councillor to be absent from Council meetings for a period over six months provided that such absence is as a result of either a requirement to self-isolate or sickness due to the corona virus;
(4) suspending Articles 14 and 15 of the Constitution and Standing Orders 47 and 48 for the next six months, effective immediately, to allow for the Council’s Constitution to be amended by a simple majority of Council; and
(5) amending Standing Order 1(1) to allow all meetings of the Council (including the Annual General Meeting) and its committees to be held at any venue considered suitable by the Corporate Manager, Democratic & Civic Support in consultation with the Leader of the Council.
Reason for Decision:
As set out in the report.
Report author: John Street
Publication date: 09/04/2020
Date of decision: 07/04/2020
Decided at meeting: 07/04/2020 - Executive