Agenda, decisions and minutes

Executive
Tuesday 12th June 2018 5.30 pm

Venue: Rennes Room, Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter. View directions

Contact: Sarah Selway, Democratic Services Manager (Committees)  Telephone 01392 265275 or email  sarah.selway@exeter.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

54.

Minutes

To approve and sign the minutes of the meeting held on 10 April 2018.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 April 2018 were taken as read and signed by the Chair as correct.

 

 

55.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors are reminded of the need to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests that relate to business on the agenda and which have not already been included in the register of interests, before any discussion takes place on the item. Unless the interest is sensitive, you must also disclose the nature of the interest. In accordance with the Council's Code of Conduct, you must then leave the room and must not participate in any further discussion of the item.  Councillors requiring clarification should seek the advice of the Monitoring Officer prior to the day of the meeting.

 

 

Minutes:

Minute 57 - Councillor Leadbetter declared an interest as the Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Health Services.

 

No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interest were made.

 

56.

The Build Sport and Leisure Facilities pdf icon PDF 365 KB

To consider the report of the Director (JY).

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

Agreed that it is recommended to Council that:-

 

(1)     Clifton Hill Sports Centre be permanently closed on cost /best value grounds;

 

(2)     Clifton Hill Sport Centre be sold to generate a capital receipt to offset compensation costs and provide investment for other Council priorities including the development and improvement of other leisure sites; 

 

(3)     Delegated authority be given to the City Surveyor to include the sale of the adjacent driving range, ski slope and Exeter Small Bore Rifle Club areas of the Clifton Hill site as a single development site if this offers the best value to the Council.

 

(4)    Delegated authority be given to the City Surveyor to take necessary steps to ensure the land is used for residential accommodation and not used for purpose built student accommodation.

 

(5)     an estimated budgeted loss of revenue income and VAT £100,000 be noted;

 

(6)     the operator be supported with its proposal to repackage and reframe the city wide leisure offer reducing by the price for a cross city offer which provides access to all facilities built at a proposed monthly membership fee of £25.00. (Currently at £35.65 per month); and

 

(7)     the development of Physical Activity and Built Facilities strategies be agreed setting out the longer term sustainability and development plans for Riverside Swimming Pool and Leisure Centre, Wonford Sports Centre; Exeter Arena and ISCA Centre; Northbrook Swimming Pool and Northbrook Golf Course.

 

(In accordance with Standing Order no.43, Councillor Leadbetter requested that his voting against these recommendations be recorded)

 

Agreed that it is recommended to Council that:-

 

 (8)    A budget of up to  £2,000,000 for essential enhancements to the fabric of the buildings and replacement of essential plant and mechanical systems at Exeter Arena, Wonford Sports Centre and Riverside Swimming Pool and Leisure Centre;

 

(9)     A budget of £880,000 for additional enhancements to the interiors and facilities at Exeter Arena, Wonford Sports Centre and Riverside Swimming Pool and Leisure Centre to improve the customer experience and mitigate against the loss of facilities at Clifton Hill Sports Centre;

 

(10)   A budget of up to £150,000 to demolish Clifton Hill Sports Centre to secure the site and avoid incurring Business Rates and other unbudgeted revenue costs;

         

(11)   Delegated authority be given to the relevant Director to negotiate and agree the contractual compensation payment to be paid to the Leisure Operator as a result of the closure of Clifton Hill, to be funded from a Leisure earmarked reserve; and

 

(12)   a budget of up to £150,000 be allocated to Newtown Community Association for the new Community Building being planned in Belmont Park with a further £50,000 being provided to enhance facilities in Belmont Park.

(In accordance with Standing Order no.43, Councillor Leadbetter requested that his voting against these recommendations be recorded)

 

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

Minutes:

The report of the Director (JY) was submitted which recommended the permanent closure of Clifton Hill Sports Centre and requested a total budget of £3,000,000 to fund an interim plan for consolidating and investing in existing built sports and leisure facilities to improve and update the current offer to citizens. 

 

The Director (JY) gave a presentation to Members (attached to minutes) which advised of the:-

·         context

·         usage summary

·         environmental concerns prior to Storm Emma

·         damage as a result of Storm Emma

·         reasons why repair was not being recommended

·         what has happened to the current users

·         the proposal which included investing in the upgrading of Riverside Swimming Pool and Leisure Centre, Wonford Sports Centre, Exeter Arena and ISCA Centre

·         what the proposal does and the overall Physical Activity Strategy for the city 

·         the options available to the Council and the potential costs

·         the importance of engaging with the local community and improving access to all city wide sports facilities.

 

The Leader thanked the Director for her comprehensive and informative presentation. He advised that as the future of the Council’s Built Sports and Leisure Facilities was a key issue all Councillors should be given the opportunity to input into the decision.  He proposed the final decision on matters under consideration be taken by Council on 13 June 2018. Members had been circulated copies of all the comments received from members of the public which included a petition close to having 1,500 signatures.

 

The Leader continued that in order to mitigate against some of the loss facilities to the local community and to provide spaces for local residents to come together and to support families to use Belmont Park to be active together, he proposed the following additional recommendation.

 

‘To recommend to Council that it allocates up to £150,000 to Newtown Community Association for the new Community Building being planned in Belmont Park with a further £50,000 being provided to enhance facilities in Belmont Park’.

 

Councillor M Vizard, having given notice until Standing Order no.44, spoke on the item. He raised the following points:-

·         thanked the Leader for his proposed additional recommendation which if agreed, would help towards the development of a Community Building which would be positive for the ward

·         raised the issue of the financial pressure the Council was under with a reduction in the Central Government grant of £7.24 million (60%) since 2010 and the need to protect front line services

·         supported development of St Sidwell’s Point which would provide excellent sports and leisure facilities

·         was raising local residents’ concerns regarding the loss of a valuable community facility and sports hall that was used by the young and old

·         was concerned that there was no formal consultation and asked that a presentation be made to the local residents to explain the issues

·         there was a need to address the health and wellbeing of the residents in Newtown

·         look into possible use of other local amenities such as the St Luke’s University Campus

·         investigate how transport links could be improved from  ...  view the full minutes text for item 56.

57.

Financial Assistance Policy for the Better Care Fund pdf icon PDF 224 KB

To consider the report of Environmental Health and Licensing Manager.

 

People Scrutiny Committee considered the report at its meeting on 7 June 2018 and its comments will be reported.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That it is recommended that Council adopt the Financial Assistance Policy in order to ensure increased funding provided via the Better Care Fund is delivered to those who have not previously been able to obtain financial assistance.

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

Minutes:

Councillor Leadbetter declared an interest as the Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Health Services.

 

The Director (JY) presented the report on a revised Financial Assistance Policy under Article 4 of the Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002 to ensure policies were in place to maximise grant spending of the Council’s Better Care Fund allocation. The policy had been developed by both the County and District Councils to ensure a consistent approach across Devon. 

 

Members were advised that this policy would enable the Council to broaden its ability to provide financial assistance to individuals who did not qualify for the mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant. This would maximise the use of the funding and enable vulnerable individuals to remain safe in their own homes.

 

The Portfolio Holder for People welcomed the policy which would support vulnerable people to be able to remain in their own homes.

 

People Scrutiny Committee considered the report at its meeting on 7 June 2018 and its comments were reported.

 

RECOMMENDED that Council adopt the Financial Assistance Policy in order to ensure increased funding provided via the Better Care Fund is delivered to those who have not previously been able to obtain financial assistance.

 

58.

Additional Funding for Bridge Replacement and Repair pdf icon PDF 258 KB

To consider the report of the Service Manager, Community Safety & Enforcement.

 

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That it is recommended that Council approve an additional budget of £250,000 to fabricate and install a replacement of the Kings Arms Bridge to meet all current safety standards.

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

Minutes:

The Director (DB) presented the report which sought approval for additional funding for the replacement of the Exeter City Council owned Kings Arms Bridge. He advised that the initial estimate provided had been based on a like for like replacement and had not fully recognised all the technical aspects which would need to be considered.   

 

Members discussed the need to ensure that estimates were robust and that the Council was attaining value for money when appointing consultants to quote on works required.

 

The Director clarified the position with regards to a robust Procurement Framework being put in place for the future.

 

RECOMMENDED that Council approve an additional budget of £250,000 to fabricate and install a replacement of the Kings Arms Bridge to meet all current safety standards.

 

59.

Transformational Budget - First tranche of proposed projects pdf icon PDF 161 KB

To consider the report of the Strategic Management Board.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That it is recommended that Council:-

 

(1)     approves the allocation of funding from the Transformation Reserve;

 

(2)     delegates authority to the Chief Executive & Growth Director, in consultation with the Chief Finance Officer and Leader of the Council, to allocate resources up to £1.5 million funded by an Earmarked Reserve, to support transformation and other projects that will support the Council in delivering £2.75 million in savings over the next two years;

 

(3)     approves a Capital Budget of up to £10 million to enable commercial opportunities to be progressed; and

 

(4)     delegates authority to the Chief Finance Officer in consultation with the Director for Place, the Leader of the Council and the Portfolio Holder for Place and Commercialisation to award funds against the Commercialisation Capital budget of £10 million.

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

 

Minutes:

The Chief Finance Officer presented the report examining the first tranche of proposed projects to be funded by the transformation budget and sought approval to assign funding to the projects to commence their delivery.

 

Members were advised that with the requirement of the Council to save £2.75 million over the next two years the aim of both of the funds was to provide either ongoing reductions in service budgets or future long term income streams. He explained the reason for recommending delegated powers would ensure opportunities were not missed due to the Committee cycle of meetings. He confirmed that any commercial investment would be within the city.

 

Members supported the way forward which would help to address the short fall in the Council’s budgets and recognised that, without the delegated powers, the Council could miss out on investment opportunities.

 

In response to Members, the Chief Finance Officer clarified that a notification mechanism to advise Members of decisions to be taken would be worked through.

 

RECOMMENDED that Council:-

 

(1)     approves the allocation of funding from the Transformation Reserve;

 

(2)     delegates authority to the Chief Executive & Growth Director, in consultation with the Chief Finance Officer and Leader of the Council, to allocate resources up to £1.5 million funded by an Earmarked Reserve, to support transformation and other projects that will support the Council in delivering £2.75 million in savings over the next two years;

 

(3)     approves a Capital Budget of up to £10 million to enable commercial opportunities to be progressed; and

 

(4)     delegates authority to the Chief Finance Officer in consultation with the Director for Place, the Leader of the Council and the Portfolio Holder for Place and Commercialisation to award funds against the Commercialisation Capital budget of £10 million.

 

60.

Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 - Exclusion of Press and Public

RESOLVED that, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of items 9, 10, 11 and 12 on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Part I, Schedule 12A of the Act. 

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items on the grounds that it involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 1,2, 3 and 4 of Part 1, Schedule 12A of the Act. 

 

 

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items on the grounds that it involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 1,2, 3 and 4 of Part 1, Schedule 12A of the Act. 

 

61.

The Build Sport and Leisure Facilities

To consider the report of the Director (JY).

 

Decision:

See Decision above.

 

Minutes:

See Minute 56 above.

 

62.

MRF staff structure

To consider the report of the Director (DB).

 

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That the following be approved;

 

(1)                  the removal of the post of MRF Plant Assistant; and      

 

(2)                  the addition of the new post of MRF Team Leader.

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

Minutes:

The Cleansing & Fleet Manager presented the report seeking formal approval for a minor restructure in the Materials Reclamation Facility.  Executive had given its preliminary approval to this in February 2018 and the consultation process had been undertaken in accordance with the Organisational Change Policy.

 

RESOLVED that the following be approved;

 

(1)                  the removal of the post of MRF Plant Assistant; and      

 

(2)                  the addition of the new post of MRF Team Leader.

 

63.

Communications, Tourism and Culture Restructure

To consider the report of the Director of Communications and Marketing.

 

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That:-

 

(1)        the business case for the structure, as set out in the circulated report, be approved;

 

(2)        the Director of Communications and Marketing be authorised to proceed in accordance with the Council’s Organisational Change Policy;

 

(3)        it be noted that this report was reflective of consultation with staff, Human Resources and Unions in terms of job descriptions, line management and reporting structure; and

 

(4)        the key changes between the initial report to Executive and the final report  be noted.

 

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

 

Minutes:

The Director of Communications and Marketing presented the final business case for the review and restructure of the teams working under Communications and Marketing, Visit Exeter and Events. Members were advised on the minor changes as a result of the consultation.

 

RESOLVED that:-

 

(1)        the business case for the restructure, as set out in the circulated report, be approved;

 

(2)        the Director of Communications and Marketing be authorised to proceed in accordance with the Council’s Organisational Change Policy;

 

(3)        it be noted that this report was reflective of consultation with staff, Human Resources and Unions in terms of job descriptions, line management and reporting structure; and

 

(4)        the key changes between the initial report to Executive and the final report as reported be noted.

 

64.

Additional Resources - Finance

To consider the report of the Chief Finance Officer.

 

Decision:

Agreed

 

 

That the Chief Finance Officer be authorised to proceed to the first consultation stage in accordance with the Council’s Organisational Change Policy.

 

Reason for Decision:

 

As set out in the report.

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Chief Finance Officer provided a business case for the restructure of Finance which would be undertaken in accordance with the Organisational Change Policy.

 

Members supported the way forward.

 

RESOLVED that the Chief Finance Officer be authorised to proceed to the first consultation stage in accordance with the Council’s Organisational Change Policy.