Agenda and draft minutes

Exeter Allotments Forum
Thursday 20th July 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: Rennes Room, Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter. View directions

Contact: Daniel Smith - Customer Service Team Manager  Email: allotments@exeter.gov.uk 01392 265370

Items
No. Item

17.

Apologies

To receive apologies.

Minutes:

Apologies received from: David Hayes (Topsham), Ray Spiller (Clapperbrook 2), Rob Shields (Rackfield), Andrea Shelley (Trews Weir), Jason James (Hospital Lane),Erica Connor (Guys and Hilton)

 

18.

Minutes and matters arising from last meeting

To receive the minutes from the meeting held on the 6th April.

 

Minutes:

Minutes of 6th April read and agreed as accurate.

19.

Councillors attending

Minutes:

Stephen Brimble (Mincinlake & Whipton), Heather Morris (St. Thomas) (until 8:00pm)

Chair invited Councillor Brimble to introduce himself to the Forum as Portfolio Holder for Place.  He gave a brief resume of his responsibilities and was looking forward to a good relationship with the allotments sites citywide.

 

20.

Allotment Service Update

Daniel Smith will provide an update.

 

Minutes:

Dan Smith. Letting/inspecting working well across the city. Early issues with the combination padlocks on Prince Charles Road site have been resolved.  Combination padlocks can be made available to any site wishing to participate.

The Forum then engaged in a discussion of topics of interest.

The question of late payment of fees was addressed by Dan who stated the system works as well as can be expected given the various methods payment.

Tenant contact details to be made available to site reps to advise of changes to combination locks or matters of a similar nature. Planned changes to the Data Protection Act in 2018 may have a bearing on this. Dan to check.

Reimbursement for costs involved for tidying of common areas/toilet cleaning was raised.  Dan is awaiting guidance from council hierarchy. Councillor Morris advises that an annual (accountable) sum of money could be made available to Associations if they agree to take on toilet cleaning responsibilities.

 

21.

Chair and Vice Chair Update

Ms Faith Stafford and Mr David Hayes are invited to provide any update that they wish to include.

 

Minutes:

Wildflower meadows have been created in partnership with Devon Wildlife Trust on 34 sites in the city, with an a additional 26 sites planned

Becky Wells (Cowick Lane) advises that the flow organisation will be creating community orchards, meadows and hedges along the flood prevention wall that is being erected in St. Thomas. Becky will invite a representative of the organisation to address a future Forum meeting.

 

22.

Update of Allotment Rules 2017-18

Daniel Smith will provide an update of the Allotment rules for the coming year.

 

Minutes:

Bonfire times - as discussed at the April Forum the new times will be:

·         September - every Tuesday and Saturday from 1200 until dusk

·         1st October – 31st March - Every Tuesday and the first Saturday of each month from 1200 until dusk

Rule 12 - children must be supervised at all times and must not trespass onto other plots.

 

23.

Advanced Topics Raised by Forum Members

Margaret Grapes (Marypole) – Plot Inspection Process.

 

Minutes:

Plot inspection process

 

The Topsham model and Cowick lane system works well.  Site reps need notifying when dirty plot letters have been issued.  Dan is pleased to announce that instances of dirty plots occurring has reduced significantly and the small number of repeat offenders dealt with appropriately.

24.

Any other Business

Minutes:

Waiting list

Approximately 250 persons have applied for plots and are given the option to select a plots from any of the sites in the city. Details of applicants need to be sent to site reps as soon as practicable.

S.T.A.A annual show

Takes place on Saturday 22nd July. A guest table is available.

 

25.

Reminder dates for the next set of meetings

·         12th Oct 2017

·         8th Feb 2018

 

Minutes:

The dates for the next meetings are:

 

·         12th  October 2017

·         8th February 2018