· To co-ordinate the establishment of waste minimisation and recycling schemes whether provided by the County Council, the District Councils or Devon Unitary Authorities, or jointly with each other, with community concerns or with community/voluntary groups.
· To make recommendations to the respective authorities regarding any major change in waste minimisation and recycling targets for Devon as a geographic area.
· To recognise the role of the County/Districts Joint Consultative Committee in making recommendations on the future strategy of waste management in Devon, including the collection and disposal of wastes, always having regard to resource implications.
· To implement and further develop initiatives as requested by the Partnership Committees, other policy committees of the member authorities, and joint consultative committees.
· To consider and adopt funding policies for the Committee’s Budget.
· To share resources wherever possible, having due regard to the opportunities for economies of scale to ensure effective use of resources.
· To hold discussions with local and national companies to promote waste minimisation and encourage provision of recycling facilities or alter processes or services in order to increase the possibilities of waste minimisation and recycling within their sphere of influence.
· To improve and expand on existing information and education initiatives to ensure that the community is well informed and aware of the advantages of waste minimisation and recycling.
· To administer payments from the Committee’s Budget to finance waste minimisation and recycling activities; to receive accounts relating to joint schemes; and to consider the annual budget for the committee.
Deomocratic Services Officer
Devon County Council
Phone: 01392 382299