Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Director (J-PH) presented the advertising report which sought to trial a single point booking system for existing and new advertising opportunities and to adopt an ethical advertising framework linked to the council’s corporate priorities for officers to work to. The report requested approval to allow digital advertising on the remaining city centre screens as part of an existing Devon County Council/Exeter City Council contract. Having a single point system would centralise the advertising opportunities for Exeter City Council and increase the sources of income, commercial opportunities and revenue.
The Director (J-PH) highlighted for Members’ attention to the following:-
· The banner advertising, which had limited spaces available could increase revenue to the Council;
· Changes in digital technology to amend agreements in advertising on digital monoliths and digital bus shelters across the city;
· Changes to advertising arrangements in the Exeter Citizen and improvement to the advertisement opportunities.
Members discussed the proposals and welcomed the adoption of an ethical framework, which would allow the Council to have a good balance of advertising in the city and which could be monitored.
RECOMMENDED that Council approves:
(1) That a single point of advertising booking is established within the Communications, Tourism and Culture team to obtain better value;
(2) That the responsibility for Citizen Advertising is in-sourced within the existing Communications, Tourism and Culture Team;
(3) That Exeter City Council will not seek to exploit its position to offer advertising at a cost which undercuts locally available market rates;
(4) That a report is brought back to council within a year with measurable outcomes, should a permanent resource from created revenue be required;
(5) That the ethical advertising framework attached to the report presented to the meeting, aligned to corporate priorities, is adopted;
(6) That officers explore additional income generation opportunities through advertising and sponsorship; and
(7) That Members approve the joint Devon County Council/Exeter City Council approach to digital advertising in high street locations;
Report author: Jon-Paul Hedge
Publication date: 11/09/2019
Date of decision: 10/09/2019
Decided at meeting: 10/09/2019 - Executive