Decision Maker: Executive, Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider the report on the Exeter City Council Net Zero Proposals.
The Executive received the report which sought to establish a new team focussed on internal Carbon Net Zero operations. The team would be established by making changes to the existing Growth and Commercialisation and Corporate Energy teams, which would work in partnership with Exeter City Futures to share best practice and help with the delivery of the Net Zero Exeter 2030 Plan.
The Portfolio Holder for Net Zero welcomed the report emphasising that the provision of additional posts and a supporting revenue budget was key to further assist the Council in meeting its Net Zero Carbon targets. Members agreed that the commitment to change from the top was vital to secure buy-in from the general public in meeting the difficult challenges ahead in combating the impact of climate change. The Council itself therefore had an important role in publicising the changes it had made and would be making in the future.
RECOMMENDED that Council approve:-
(1) the development of a new Exeter City Council Net Zero team, resulting in the creation of two new temporary posts, amending four permanent posts, and the removal of one vacant post from the structure;
(2) the allocation of a one-off £1 million budget to support activities to deliver Net Zero within the City Council and across the city. Part of the £1 million budget would fund the two new temporary posts and provide a revenue budget for two years to deliver activity;
(3) support for the establishment of the Exeter City Futures Delivery Group, to enable best practice to be shared across Exeter City Futures partners to support the delivery the Net Zero Exeter 2030 Plan;
(4) the establishment of Exeter City Council Net Zero Champions within each service area, to assist in delivering Net Zero within the City Council; and
(5) the implementation of the new structure by 1 August 2021.
Report author: Victoria Hatfield
Publication date: 07/07/2021
Date of decision: 06/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 06/07/2021 - Executive