Decision Maker: Executive, Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Report to consider housing management arrangements.
The Executive received the report which sought agreement for the next steps for housing management and care provision for the Edwards Court Extra Care Scheme. An additional budget was sought to provide the initial expenditure to make the scheme ready for occupation.
Members noted that Edwards Court had 53 units, developed to Passivhaus standard by the Council for the extra care scheme. It would provide residents with their own private living space, with shared communal areas. The original intention was the commissioned care provider would also provide housing management of the Scheme. Market changes since the original scoping work however, meant that the procurement process indicated that there was no interest from providers to undertake both functions.
Officers had assessed that the most efficient and practical way forward was for the Council, by way of the Council Housing and Development Service, to provide the housing management as well as the maintenance of the building. The cost would be covered by the rents and service charges, which were in-line with other extra care schemes and eligible for Housing Benefit. The procurement of a provider for the care element was about to commence.
The Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Council Housing Development and Services welcomed the report and expressed her thanks to the officers who had been working with Devon County Council.
RECOMMENDED that Council:-
(1) agree to continue using Edwards Court as an extra care facility with Exeter City Council maintaining the building and housing staff providing the non-care elements of the service and noting that Devon County Council will be responsible for securing care provision via a commissioned service;
(2) approve a budget of £350,000 to be set aside to enable the scheme to be ready to receive its first tenants and commence operation;
(3) agree that a contribution of £20,000 per annum, subject to an annual uplift be used as a contribution towards the care provider’s scheme manager;
(4) agree that an Extra Care Property Services Manager be recruited by Exeter City Council to manage all non-care elements of the scheme at a cost of £35,000 salary; and
(5) agree the budget set out for the Medium Term Financial Plan as set out in Appendix 1 of the report.
Report author: Lawrence Blake
Publication date: 12/01/2022
Date of decision: 11/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 11/01/2022 - Executive