Decision Maker: Executive, Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Report to cover City Council endorsing the recently released Devon Carbon Plan, produced by the Devon Climate Emergency Team at DCC.
RECOMMENDED that Council:-
(1) note the Devon Carbon Plan;
(2) reflecton the implications for the City of Exeter’s goal of a Net Zero Exeter 2030, given the Devon Carbon Plan target for Net Zero being 2050, in-line with Government’s goal for the country. Transport being one of the largest sources of carbon emissions for the City and County, the consequences of reductions to Net Zero by 2030 were profound and Members may wish to satisfy themselves that the 2050 goal provided a supportive policy context for the city of Exeter’s Net Zero plans:
(3) agree to continue working in collaboration with the Devon Climate Emergency Partnership in reducing county carbon emissions;
(4) agree that Exeter City Council led projects on the implementation of the Devon Carbon Plan be scrutinised by Exeter City Council’s Strategic Scrutiny Committee;
(5) request that a biannual update be presented to the Strategic Scrutiny Committee on the progress made in delivering the Devon Carbon Plan;
(6) reflect and discuss the ambition of the Devon Carbon Plan and how it relates to the ambition of a clean growth region;
(7) request that Devon County Council, identify Exeter as an early innovation zone or test bed for net zero initiatives; and
(8) request that an all-Member Briefing/Scrutiny be arranged with presentations provided from Devon County Council.
Reason for Decision: As set out in the report and amended at the meeting.
Report author: Victoria Hatfield
Publication date: 03/11/2022
Date of decision: 01/11/2022
Decided at meeting: 01/11/2022 - Executive