RECOMMENDED to Council that:-
(1) the basic structure and principles of the current Members’ Allowances scheme be retained for 2023/24;
(2) the principle that any Member qualifying for more than one Special Responsibility Allowance is paid the higher allowance only, be retained;
(3) the Councillors’ Basic and Special Responsibility Allowances, including the Lord Mayor and Deputy Lord Mayor’s Expenses Allowances, should be linked and updated in line with the Local Government Employers (LGE) staff pay award for the previous year, (a 1.75% increase in the annual Local Staff Pay Award was awarded by the Employers side for staff which was effective for staff from April 2021);
(4) the principle that Special Responsibility Allowances be paid to no more than 50% of the overall number of Councillors to continue to be kept under review and adhered to where possible;
(5) the current Dependants’ Carers’ Allowance scheme be maintained, with the continuation of the level of allowance matching the hourly Living Wage as applicable from April of each year (together with the retention of the uplift of the standard rate of income tax). In the case of Members who need specialist care for a child or adult dependant, a higher rate, of up to £25 per hour or part thereof, (together with the retention of the uplift of the standard rate of income tax) can be agreed by negotiation in advance with the Corporate Manager, Democratic and Civic Support;
(6) the sum of £50 be paid to the Independent Persons affiliated to the Audit and Governance Committee for up to four hours work, and £100 for four hours and over, payable to each of the two Independent Persons (up to a maximum of £500 per person in any one year) be retained; and
(7) the Travel and Subsistence allowances available for staff to continue to apply to Exeter City Councillors, where appropriate.
Reason for Decision: As set out in the report.