RECOMMENDED that Council:
(1) note and endorse the Corporate Carbon Footprint report, and acknowledge the detailed analysis and improved data provided on previous year’s reports, but also the challenge to improve data capture across the whole organisation. The projections reinforce the measures required across all Council activities, and that organisationally achieving Net Zero in such a short timeframe is extremely challenging;
(2) acknowledge the scale of the challenge set out in the Corporate Carbon Footprint Report and the combination of aggressive carbon reduction measures included in the projections which require a step change in Council policy, activity, and capacity;
(3) acknowledge the importance of the Corporate Carbon Reduction Plan, the work already in progress, and service wide commitment required to deliver net zero, with a dedicated team to lead on activity. Equally, the need to undertake an annual assessment of the Council’s GHG emissions to monitor, identify change and evaluate actions needed to deliver net zero;
(4) note that to achieve Net Zero by 2030, an increase in capacity, financial investment and operational resource, both internally and from Government at a national level is required. Whilst the carbon footprint provides accurate carbon reduction measures, the precise amount of resource needed is currently not quantifiable. This will require a detailed investment plan based on costed proposals; and
(5) recommend the Net Zero team’s research options for using carbon offsetting to achieve Net Zero.
Reason for Decision: As set out in the report.